Friday, June 27, 2008

FROM SAMANTHA:

Alright, I am finally sitting down to type. It is so hard to believe that we'll be leaving Tambov in just two more days. I am looking forward to seeing you all (and my bed) but I'm going to miss these precious kids. There has been talk of smuggling a couple back with us in suitcases.


This afternoon, we all loaded into the buses (getting there is half the adventure with the way these people drive) and headed to the riverside. We played volleyball, frisbee, and tackle the Bear. The last one was Daddy's idea and Bear didn't realize a new game had started until he found himself at the bottom of the pile of kids. Not sure yet what shape Bear's revenge will take.


I've enjoyed getting to know the older girls over the past couple of days. At this day camp, children up to the age of fourteen are allowed to attend. Most of the older ones know just enough english to communicate with the help of charades. It has been encouraging to see that some of the girls that seemed very withdrawn on the first day off camp are much more receptive to teaching and interaction now. I so wish that I could talk to them more easily, but I just have to pray that a smile and 'Previet' will communicate what I can't verbalize. After crafts this morning, Vicki and I were cleaning up before heading to lunch when three girls came in with a broom and told us to go eat and they would finish. One of the girls, Tanya, has been giving me lessons on how to say the names of various flowers in Russian. (Anna, they call pansies "Anna's eyes" here. Sounds like a-NOO-tee-GLAHS-gee, I think.)


About the food, they really haven't served us anything too dreadful. Except for yesterday's liver. Mom, I want you to know that Daddy made me eat not one, not two, but THREE bites! Not little ones either, mind you. He kept complaining that I wasn't eating them, I was just swallowing them . What on earth is the difference? On the other hand, one of the ladies here made us doughnuts which we ate warm with honey. Every meal has a dessert plate which is replinished between mealtimes. It feels like they are feeding us constantly.


Tomorrow (Saturday) is the last official day of camp. We are supposed to plan a skit and a scavenger hunt for the children to do in the afternoon. Schedules are suggestions though, so we are learning not to hold too tightly to our plans. I am so glad I didn't bring a watch. It is much easier to go with the flow when I don't know what we are supposed to be doing at a given moment. I will see if there is time to write more tomorrow.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hey Samantha! I knew you really were in Russia, because I was seeing your pictures and the others were mentioning you in their posts, but it is good to hear your perspective.

It is interesting how laid back the Russians seem to be (schedule wise) and great that you all are being flexible. No matter how things go, our sovereign God's plans are right on schedule, and He will accomplish all He intends with this trip.

Bear must be a mass of bruises by now, with all of those kids climbing on him all the time! I was looking at the picture of supplies and noticed water bombs; any new welts, Samantha?

On the home front: too bad for you guys! You missed Jerry last Sunday (great message out of Revelation) and you will miss Daron's first time in the pulpit! You can always get it online, though.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Praying for you all,
Becky